Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: PCIe know-how?

From: Brian Padalino
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: PCIe know-how?
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 19:56:20 -0500

On 3/4/07, Daniel O'Connor <address@hidden> wrote:
You would still need a PCI core although you can get those a lot cheaper than
PCIe cores. You can even get a free one from OpenCores (there is a PCI to
wishbone bridge for example).

I don't think you need anything PCI with the specified PLX chip.

The PEX8311 has a description of:

   "8/16/32-bit, 66MHz, Local Bus to PCI Express Bridge"

As far as I am aware there are no PCIe equivalents to the PLX 9054 (for
example) - ie PCIe to local bus bridges.

I believe that is an equivalent, but still relatively expensive in
comparison to just a PHY chip.

You might need some information about laying out your board for PCIe
compliance however you can probably glean that information from a PLX example
design :)

Very true - they seem to have the board layout all right there from
their reference design development board.  Pretty nice!

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum

Brian