RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] File format question

From: Bahn William L Civ USAFA/DFCS
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] File format question
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 09:24:36 -0600

> > When possible, I would prefer to use the constants that have been set up
> so that the code is (1) more readable, and (2) more maintainable. So
> instead of using "8" for complex, I would like to use
> gr.sizeof_"whatever". But I don't know what "whatever" needs to be. Where
> do I find this?
> >

> From
> /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-
> packages/gnuradio/gr/gnuradio_swig_py_runtime.py:
>
> sizeof_char = _gnuradio_swig_py_runtime.sizeof_char
> sizeof_short = _gnuradio_swig_py_runtime.sizeof_short
> sizeof_int = _gnuradio_swig_py_runtime.sizeof_int
> sizeof_float = _gnuradio_swig_py_runtime.sizeof_float
> sizeof_double = _gnuradio_swig_py_runtime.sizeof_double
> sizeof_gr_complex = _gnuradio_swig_py_runtime.sizeof_gr_complex
>
> Those are the constants you want.

Thank you very much. I certainly would have never thought to look in that file
in that directory.

> > It would be so much simpler if I could just use the generated time
> domain data directly.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> When you say generated time domain data, are you talking about (time,
> voltage) pairs off of a scope? IIRC scope data is just the I component,
> and you can get the Q component from I using standard signal processing
> techniques assuming your sampling rate is sufficiently high.

No, I'm talking about instantaneous baseband waveform amplitudes generated by
an external program and written to a file with a single amplitude value per
sample.

Also, what is the peak-peak signal values for floating point data sources? -1.0
to +1.0?