[Discuss-gnuradio] Problem with the FPGA firmware (getting clock like ou

From: eenrti
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problem with the FPGA firmware (getting clock like output only)
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 17:35:23 +0100

Hello list,
I have recently changed the USRP clock with an external PLL. Then I used the previously precompiled standard firmware std_4rx_0tx.rbf , using 2 sinusoidal inputs to RXA, RXB and it was confirmed that everything was working fine. I then downloaded the 3.0.4 version and tried to recompile the usrp_std project. I used the usrp_std.rbf file produced in the rx_cfile.py, feeding the RXA, RXB each with a sinusoidal signal and when I plotted the output I found out that I was getting 0s and -1s only, as if I was getting clock pulses.

I then used again the std_4rx_0tx.rbf file which resulted in the expected output (sinusoidal signals at the same frequency) with amplitudes ranging from -15500 to 15500. . I then used another firmware which actually produces known data from within the rx_buffer.v file, (a signal that cycles from 0 to 15 and back to 0) and the output was as expected again, linear increase from 0 to 15 and then back to 0. I then tried other versions of the firmware that there were working, as Peter Monta's variable width and shift firmware, but again I was getting values almost down to 0.

Does anyone has an idea what might be wrong? Why do some .rbfs working and some not?

Thank you

Rigas