[Discuss-gnuradio] 8MHz Tx Bandwidth.. Nightmare and Fear

From: Vincenzo Pellegrini
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] 8MHz Tx Bandwidth.. Nightmare and Fear
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 05:10:20 +0200

Matt,

Tonight
I have been recording slices of commercial FM spectrum, all centered
right where a good station transmits,

the first slice was 300Khz wide,
the second was 2MHz
the third was 4MHz

then I sent all these signals to my Hifi FM receiver via the basicTX...
all went fine and I could hear a good stereo sound from my recordings..

then I tried my nightmare: the 8MHz slice of spectrum....
the output was extremely weak but you could easily tell from what you
could hear that the samples were not being sent out at 8Msps: the very
poor audio was also "slow" as it happens when you set the interpolation
rate too high, compared to the sample rate your samples were taken at...
well, this is not just some attenuation next to the shoulder of my ofdm
signal.. this is the whole signal .. gone..

So, I'm really not asking you, Matt, to solve a problem which is my duty
to solve...and don't even want to bother the whole list with this
stuff...

...but please say it loud, say it clear: "vincenzo, you've made very big
mistakes, because the USRP really can transmit an 8MHz wide signal
without distorting it significantly, I've tested it"...

..so even if this means that I still got much to learn, and much to work
to find out where I'm doing wrong...

...well, it would be much better than being forced to give up what I'm
working upon..

please...

thanks

vincenzo