Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] set_auto_tr(), gr_stall, and PTT

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] set_auto_tr(), gr_stall, and PTT
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 15:11:44 -0500

Robert - To answer a few questions (and some background to answer them):

0) I did get the PTT working, and can see the TX on the RX antenna - no matter which antenna I select (on an RFX board). If I select the TX/RX antenna, then the RX is attenuated ~25 dB or so. If I select the RX antenna, then the RX is not significantly attenuated.

1) I also got simultaneous TX/RX working, using different antennas ("full duplex"). It was -quite- handy that the "select_rx_antenna()" method was added just as I was searching for it ;) If only this had been there a week earlier (9/1; it was added in r6377 on 9/10), my in- house demo would have been well-received! At least I got those bugs worked out in time for "the big demo".

2) I also got the PTT working on a single TX/RX antenna ("half duplex"), by turning on the USRP_TX object ("enable(true)" I think) when the PTT is "pushed", then turning it off when the PTT is "released". This works quite well, and is modeled after the USRP NBFM PTT example.

3) I never got to the "gr_stall()" block, because I got (1) and (2) working. It would still be interesting to see if "set_auto_tr()" and the scheduler would work with a "stall" block on the TX side. I don't have time to look into this right now.

4) What Matt says is true, roughly, regarding simultaneous TX/RX on a single antenna. I haven't tried this yet, it's purely observational at this time (as per 0 above) but: You actually can do simultaneous TX/RX on that antenna of an RFX board, but there's a penalty on the RX side in terms of attenuation ... something like 25 dB. I believe that simultaneous TX/RX could be made to work if the penalty is OK for your needs.

5) You can do time multiplexed switching of the TX/RX antenna (as per 2 above). You do this by disabling the USRP_TX object, to allow for RX. Then you enable the USRP_TX to do TX. There have been discussions on this email list regarding how quickly you can enable / disable TX .. something like a few ms IIRC. Keep in mind that the flow-graph side of GNU Radio has no concept of "time" and isn't designed to do TDMA; you can probably implement "coarse" TDMA via OS- specific timers. I think for anything reasonably fine-grained or time-precise, you'll need to use the USRP-server and mblock modules of GNU Radio.

Hope this helps! - MLD