Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Photo of the Beagle Board and USRP

From: Jeff Brower
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Photo of the Beagle Board and USRP
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:32:35 -0500

Philip-

> >  just being curious :) what are you going to use the
> >
> > combo(beagle+usrp) for? use beagle to replace the usrp
> >  host? they are not connected in your pic.
>
> They really are connected. I added a note to the picture :)
>
> Right now, I can load the 8051 and see the LED blink  slow down. Then
> the USB interface comes unglued. Not surprising since this is really
> bleeding edge stuff.
>
> Long term, I wonder if the ARM NEON instructions are useful for signal
> processing. At the very minimum, this is a cheap system for narrow
> band signals.

You are talking about the ARM9 core on the OMAP device, right?  If so then you
can
run Linux on the ARM core but overall processing capability will be limited
compared
to a Xeon or Core2-something PC.  Now if you can migrate signal processing
tasks to
the C55x DSP core on the OMAP, then you're in business.

For anyone who is wondering, OMAP series devices are widely used in cellphones
and
other very low power consumption hand-helds -- the chip series is one of TI's
major
breadwinners.

-Jeff