[Discuss-gnuradio] forced GPL in CGRAN? gr-ucla code in BBN repo not GPL

From: George Nychis
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] forced GPL in CGRAN? gr-ucla code in BBN repo not GPL?
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:55:20 -0400

Alright, I was hoping someone could clear this up for me in terms of the GPL, and we all know how vague it can be.

Sorry to toss a private statement public, Eric, but you mention:
"the license they pick must be compatible with the GPLv3, otherwise they can't use the existing code"

Is this really true?

The gr-ucla code might be a good example: I have permission from Thomas to put the gr-ucla code in CGRAN, but something that surprised me is that it is not under the GPL:
http://acert.ir.bbn.com/viewvc/gr-ucla/trunk/README?revision=24&view=markup

It doesn't re-use any GNU Radio code that I can find in the repository, but it will of course link to GNU Radio libraries. Through some google searching, its a large dispute whether linking to a GPL library forces the "linker" to be under the GPL. It isn't explicit.

From http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatIsCompatible ...

"If you just want to install two separate programs in the same system, it is not necessary that their licenses be compatible, because this does not combine them into a larger work."

... to me, that states gr-ucla does not need to be under the GPL.

Thoughts?

- George