Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] updated BBN 80211 code?

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] updated BBN 80211 code?
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 07:02:48 -0700

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 06:14:28AM -0400, Frank Brickle wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 11:20 PM, Eric Blossom <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> > Do you mean that your code can't go in the repo, or that Orange can't
> > go in the repo?  I see no problem having code in the repo use Orange.
>

> You're describing an approach to the dev branches -- here and below --
> that's considerably more liberal than my previous understanding of it,
> anyway. Good.

Good.

> > In general, no one should be expecting code in a dev branch to be
> > fully sorted out, or for that matter, even compile.
>

> Got *that* part down, thanks :-)

:-)

> > It seems obvious there has to be a place for GNU Radio code that's GPL but
> > > will not be assigned to FSF, with certainty. I believe there should also
> > be
> > > a place for code whose status is *uncertain* -- in short, a place with
> > > minimal obstacles to publishing early and often.
> >
> > I believe that's one of the CGRAN goals.
>

> The understanding, then, is that it's explicitly OK for non-FSF-assigned
> code to go into dev branches of the official repo. That's news to me, and
> I'm glad to have it cleared up.

Nope, sorry for the confusion.

Code in gnuradio.org should be GPLv3 and assigned to FSF.  Using code
outside of the repo is fine as long as the outside code has a license
that is compatible with the GPLv3.
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses

Eric

--
All growth occurs at the border of order and chaos.