Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] updated BBN 80211 code?

From: George Nychis
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] updated BBN 80211 code?
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:34:42 -0400

Douglas Geiger wrote:
For me, I don't think this is a problem - as I've just recently submitted my assignment for patches to gnuradio. So as long as the BBN code is considered part of gnuradio - it should fall under that (as far as I understand my assignment statement). Either way, if the code gets hosted somewhere, I'll be happy to send in what I have. It does look like I'm going to have to re-create some of my work though - too many changes since this past summer and apparently I wasn't good about saving a version that worked. As for the larger question about CGRAN, I think it makes sense as a third-party repository, but I can imagine that might lead to problems down the line for anything that might be desirable for inclusion into the mainline gnuradio repository.

Thanks for the responses Greg and Doug. The issue I am trying to address with CGRAN is the fact that a significant amount of code never makes it in to the GR repo, because the GR powers to be don't want it there or the authors don't have the time to go through the loops, and the code gets lost. Additionally, not everyone cares enough to get an FSF assignment and actually spend the time actually trying to contribute it into the GR repo.

It seems as though the BBN code is a special case. It already has an FSF copyright assignment, its mature, and Eric wants it in the repository. This is not the case with the majority of GR projects, which CGRAN is meant to cater.

So... I don't see it as much of a tug and pull between the two repositories, more as a special case.

As Frank mentioned, he has not-so-mature code which can be useful to others, but not primetime for the GR repo. It's a good example of something that would go to CGRAN.

In direct reponse to Greg, I think CGRAN is more than just for people who aren't FSF assignment. Some people don't want to go through the hassle of following the GR conventions, writing the QA code, cleaning up the code, and actually trying to integrate it. A lot of students work on GNU Radio, and we work towards a deadline and our goal is typically to get it to work as fast as possible, not as fast and as clean as possible. Once that deadline hits, we're typically done :P CGRAN is a good place for this code and if someone wants to fix it up for the repo, someone has to get assignments and it goes in. Without CGRAN, the code is probably going to be lost in between, in a dead SVN repo or the author has no place to put it.

- George