[Discuss-gnuradio] Distcheck error on latest trunk

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Distcheck error on latest trunk
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 21:41:38 -0500

+++++++++++++++
Making all in gr-usrp
Making all in src
/opt/local/bin/swig -c++ -fvirtual -python -modern -keyword -w511 - DOMNITHREAD_POSIX=1
[snip]
-I/GNURadio/trunk/build/gnuradio-3.2svn/_build/usrp/host/lib/legacy - module usrp_swig -o usrp_swig.cc ../../../gr-usrp/src/usrp.i
Unable to open file ../../../gr-usrp/src/usrp_swig.py: Permission denied

I think this is a SWIG issue. I'm using version 1.3.37, which for some reason requires the addition of "-outdir $(builddir)" in order to work correctly. Without this addition, one file is written to $ (srcdir) and the other to $(builddir) [which, when doing distcheck, will error out because $(srcdir) is not writable].

I think the correct solution is to add this change to the Makefile.common variable "SWIGPYTHONFLAGS" ... but even with that some of the gr-foo components need to be updated to handle this correctly (e.g., gr-audio-osx, gr-atsc, gr-audio-windows, gr-comedi, gr-video- sdl, ... probably others).

I'm happy to make these changes into a test branch to verify compatibility with older SWIG version(s) ... that is, if this is the correct way to go. Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? - MLD