Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Is OpenBTS going to support USRP2?

From: David Burgess
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Is OpenBTS going to support USRP2?
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 20:16:08 -0700

Jane -

We (Harvind and I) have no foreseeable plans to use OpenBTS with the USRP2.  There are several reasons we will stick with the USRP1, but if I detail them on this list I'll risk getting cited for contempt of court.  Really.  http://openbts.sourceforge.net/order.pdf

But OpenBTS is open source, after all, so if more and more people want to hack OpenBTS to work with the USRP2 they are welcome to do so.

"Do not use a transmit antenna" means "Do not use a transmit antenna".  I don't know how to state that more clearly.  The reason is that if you DO use a transmit antenna you will probably be violating your local radio spectrum regulations, whatever those might be, and you risk disrupting cellular telephone service for your immediate neighbors.  This would be BAD and I do not sanction it.  So unless you REALLY know what you are doing, you should not use a transmit antenna.  Plenty of power leaks out of the USRP for benchtop testing and development.

You will need a receive antenna, though.  That's an entirely different matter.

"RFX-style" means "of the same general style as the RFX900 or RFX1800".  These two boards are nearly identical, so I lumped them together in the group "RFX-style".

-- David