Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Is OpenBTS going to support USRP2?

From: Jane Chen
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Is OpenBTS going to support USRP2?
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:42:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hi David,

We (Harvind and I) have no foreseeable plans to use OpenBTS with the USRP2.  There are several reasons we will stick with the USRP1, but if I detail them on this list I'll risk getting cited for contempt of court.  Really.  http://openbts.sourceforge.net/order.pdf

Could you please just give me some key words without detail to let me know how hard it will be to use OpenBTS with USRP2? I read the the datasheet of USRP1 and USRP2. USRP2 has larger FPGA and higer sample rate than USRP1. I don't see a lot of work to use OpenBTS with USRP2. What are my blind spots?

"Do not use a transmit antenna" means "Do not use a transmit antenna".  I don't know how to state that more clearly.  The reason is that if you DO use a transmit antenna you will probably be violating your local radio spectrum regulations, whatever those might be, and you risk disrupting cellular telephone service for your immediate neighbors.  This would be BAD and I do not sanction it.  So unless you REALLY know what you are doing, you should not use a transmit antenna.  Plenty of power leaks out of the USRP for benchtop testing and development.

I am sorry! I did not describe my question clearly. In http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_(radio) , it mentioned "antennas convert electromagnetic waves into electrical currents and vice versa", so I thought that antennas are necessary components in transmitting process. I thought that I can reduce the gain or don't use an amplifier to avoid violating my local radio spectrum regulations.

Thank you so much for your time and reply!
Jane