Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio via MacPorts Updated

From: Elvis Dowson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio via MacPorts Updated
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 10:54:10 +0400

Hi Michael,

On Sep 15, 2010, at 1:12 AM, Michael Dickens wrote:

> Hi Dave - We're just discussing this issue (32-bit execution) on the
> MacPorts' lists.  The quick end-result is: With the current MacPorts'
> provided python2.6 or older, the PREFER_32_BIT stuff does not work because
> 'python' is actually just a wrapper around 'exec' and the bit-preferences are
> no passed through.  Apple's python2.6 -does- work, as does python2.7 and
> newer, because this command was moved to "posix_spawn"; see <
> http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/python/python-44.1/2.6/ > for the
> source code and changes Apple made (somewhere in there).

I can confirm that apple's default python-2.6 works in 32-bit mode.

> As to your actual error when running "usrp_fft.py": Apparently WX is not
> installed as 64-bit.  I haven't gotten this far in my testing (lots on my
> queue already), but my memory is that this has been an issue for a -long-
> time & still isn't resolved.  I don't remember the exact root cause any
> longer.

For the wxWidgets/wxPython issue, here's what I've found out so far:

a. wxWidgets/wxPython 2.9.2 and higher builds and works under cocoa 64-bits.

I've tested the non-OpenGL vesions of the widgets in gr-wxgui, and that appears
to be working.

However, for the OpenGL versions of these widgets, there are some breaking API
changes between wxWidgets 2.8.x and 2.9.x. The changes are documented in the
wxWidgets OpenGL cube example.

b. Robin Dunn provides a synchronized release of his sources for
wxWidgets/wxPython 2.9.x, since we usually have the problem of version
mismatches, and re-swigging. You can find a link to the download in this
discussion thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/wxPython-dev/browse_thread/thread/dd7ff9dfb5d99686?pli=1

c. Under Mac OS X 10.6.4, you already have an installation of wxWidgets 2.8.8.1

$ export VERSIONER_PYTHON_PREFER_32_BIT=yes
$ python
Python 2.6.1 (r261:67515, Feb 11 2010, 00:51:29)
>>> import wx
>>> wx.VERSION_STRING
'2.8.8.1'
>>> exit()

At the moment, I'm slowly building all the dependent libraries for i386 and
x86_64 architectures, and bring it up  to the wxWidgets/wxPython dependencies.
This way, I can simultaneously try a couple of permutations/combinations with
say wxWidgets/wxPython 2.8.x and Carbon/32-bits and GNU Radio at 32-bits, or if
I solve the OpenGL context issue, wxWidgets/wxPython 2.9.x Cocoa/64-bits and
GNU Radio at 64-bits.

Best regards,

Elvis