[Discuss-gnuradio] strange receiver behaviour with UHD

From: Patrik Eliardsson
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] strange receiver behaviour with UHD
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 15:15:51 +0200

Dear List,

We have made a test program using a source and a file sink (see fg.jpg) where
we are receiving a fixed number of samples (with UHD and USRP2 and WBX-card)
from an AWGN-generator (constant power -19dB).  If we plot the abs value of the
received signal we always see a "spike" in the 10 first samples (see fig1)
before the abs value settles to a more expected value. Sometimes (seldom) there
is no "spike" but the result is still not as expected, the received data starts
at a higher level and slopes down during a quite long time before settling to a
stable level (see fig 2).

Have we missed something or why does this "spike" occur? Is there some
initialization time in the hardware that we need to take into consideration
before we start to receive samples (recv) after setting all parameters?

Br,
Patrik