Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Installation problem

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Installation problem
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2011 14:22:53 -0400

On 09/03/2011 01:16 PM, Greg Le Sage wrote:
I have a particular error that I have been unable to find described. I
would appreciate advice. I have searched very extensively and put in
many hours.

I performed a new install of Ubuntu 11.04 on a PC (Dell Precision
M6300), downloaded and performed sudo bash build-gnuradio.sh, after modifying it to look in a different
directory for FPGA code (the site was just changed and I appended /old to the web site address), and ran the script.
This all worked on two other PCs, and they will both open and run GRC
and talk to my USRP2. I want to use this new computer because it is
significantly faster.

There is *zero* reason to run build-gnuradio as root.  Zero.  It acquires root as it needs it.  Ordinary operations don't require root.
  Compiling C code, moving your own files around, editing those files.  You only need to be root to install stuff in the system directories, update
  system software, etc.  The build-gnuradio acquires that via "sudo" as it needs to.  Don't run it as root.  That's just a bad idea.

The script performs all of the preliminaries without error. It reaches
the following point.

Doing ldconfig...
Building Gnu Radio...
.....Bootstrapping
.....Configuring
.....Building
make failed

I viewed the log file which contained the following at the end.

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -l/usr/lib/libboost_date_time-mt.so
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -l/usr/lib/libboost_filesystem-mt.so
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -l/usr/lib/libboost_program_options-mt.so
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -l/usr/lib/libboost_regex-mt.so
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -l/usr/lib/libboost_system-mt.so
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -l/usr/lib/libboost_thread-mt.so
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -loptimized
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldebug
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -l/usr/lib/libboost_unit_test_framework-mt.so
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[5]: *** [libgnuradio-uhd.la] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory
`/home/lesagegp/Downloads/gnuradio/gr-uhd/lib'
make[4]: *** [all] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory
`/home/lesagegp/Downloads/gnuradio/gr-uhd/lib'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/lesagegp/Downloads/gnuradio/gr-uhd'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/lesagegp/Downloads/gnuradio/gr-uhd'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/lesagegp/Downloads/gnuradio'
make: *** [all] Error 2
Exiting Gnu Radio build/install

At least some of these files do exist
e.g. /usr/lib/libboost_date_time-mt.so

Next I tried downloading with git clone
http://gnuradio.org/git/gnuradio.git

And went through the steps
sudo ./bootstrap
sudo ./configure
sudo make

make fails again with the same errors

That's when I completely reinstalled Ubuntu to make sure no left over
files were causing a problem. Running the script on a fresh install
fails at exactly the same point.

This is my first question submission. I tried to make sure it is neither
obvious or already answered. I appreciate any advice.

Thanks
I just downloaded the latest Gnu Radio via GIT, and did:

  make distclean; make clean
  ./bootstrap
  ./configure
  make; sudo make install

It went entirely fine.  So, my assumption is that the very latest codebase relies on some pre-req that is satisfied on my system (Fedora 14), and
  not on Ubuntu.  What exactly, that is, I'm not sure.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator