[Discuss-gnuradio] Installation problem

From: Greg Le Sage
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Installation problem
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 13:16:02 -0400

I have a particular error that I have been unable to find described. I
would appreciate advice. I have searched very extensively and put in
many hours.

I performed a new install of Ubuntu 11.04 on a PC (Dell Precision
M6300), downloaded and performed sudo bash build-gnuradio.sh, after modifying it to look in a different
directory for FPGA code (the site was just changed and I appended /old to the web site address), and ran the script.
This all worked on two other PCs, and they will both open and run GRC
and talk to my USRP2. I want to use this new computer because it is
significantly faster.

The script performs all of the preliminaries without error. It reaches
the following point.

Doing ldconfig...
Building Gnu Radio...
.....Bootstrapping
.....Configuring
.....Building
make failed

I viewed the log file which contained the following at the end.

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -l/usr/lib/libboost_date_time-mt.so
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -l/usr/lib/libboost_filesystem-mt.so
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -l/usr/lib/libboost_program_options-mt.so
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -l/usr/lib/libboost_regex-mt.so
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -l/usr/lib/libboost_system-mt.so
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -l/usr/lib/libboost_thread-mt.so
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -loptimized
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldebug
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -l/usr/lib/libboost_unit_test_framework-mt.so
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[5]: *** [libgnuradio-uhd.la] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory
`/home/lesagegp/Downloads/gnuradio/gr-uhd/lib'
make[4]: *** [all] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory
`/home/lesagegp/Downloads/gnuradio/gr-uhd/lib'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/lesagegp/Downloads/gnuradio/gr-uhd'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/lesagegp/Downloads/gnuradio/gr-uhd'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/lesagegp/Downloads/gnuradio'
make: *** [all] Error 2
Exiting Gnu Radio build/install

At least some of these files do exist
e.g. /usr/lib/libboost_date_time-mt.so

Next I tried downloading with git clone
http://gnuradio.org/git/gnuradio.git

And went through the steps
sudo ./bootstrap
sudo ./configure
sudo make

make fails again with the same errors

That's when I completely reinstalled Ubuntu to make sure no left over
files were causing a problem. Running the script on a fresh install
fails at exactly the same point.

This is my first question submission. I tried to make sure it is neither
obvious or already answered. I appreciate any advice.

Thanks