Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio release 3.6.3 available for download

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio release 3.6.3 available for download
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 14:43:42 -0500

A quick BTW for Mac OS X users trying to install GNU Radio via use MacPorts --
a lesson learned from the off-list discussion between Ed and I:

If installation of GNU Radio (not a dependency) fails, then before you do
anything else, do

sudo port clean gnuradio gnuradio-devel gnuradio-next

and then try to install or upgrade GNU Radio again from a -really- clean slate.
 Sometime MacPorts leaves behind some cruft which gets in the way of a
successful install.  It's not supposed to do this, and while I cannot replicate
this behavior it certainly does happen and this solution is often enough to get
things working again.

My typical way of working with MacPorts is the following:

sudo port selfupdate
foo=`port outdated | sed -e '\''1d'\'' | awk '\''{ print $1 }'\''` && echo $foo
sudo port clean $foo
sudo port fetch $foo
sudo port clean $foo
sudo port -p upgrade $foo
bar=`port installed | grep -v active | sed -e 1d` && echo $bar
sudo port uninstall $bar

and, if any step fails then clean or uninstall or reinstall before continuing.
The above is probably more than is necessary, but it generally works to keep
all installed ports up to date and with no older cruft left behind.

Hope this helps others! - MLD