Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] make test hangs at gr-core-test-all qa_pdu

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] make test hangs at gr-core-test-all qa_pdu
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 11:06:22 -0500

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM, "Martin Lülf" <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 5:28 AM, "Martin Lülf" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> while working on my issue with asynchronous blocks (
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2013-01/msg00488.html
>> ). I discovered that the two tests 'gr-core-test-all' and 'qa_pdu'
>> sometimes hang up. That means they never return until I interrupt with
>> Ctr+C. If I repeat the same make test without changing anything in
>> between, the tests sometimes run through and sometimes hang up again.
>>
>> I am running Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.2.0-35-generic x86_64) with
>> the gnuradio master branch.
>>
>> Yours
>> Martin Luelf
>>

> What version of Boost are you running? If it's 1.46, 1.47, or 1.52, that
> would explain the gr-core-test-all. It's a bug in Boost that we get hit
> with (and we're supposed to not link against those versions, but
> apparently
> haven't done that right; see Issue #513).
>
> The PDU hangup I think is a race condition. I thought that I had fixed
> that, but apparently not entirely. I just opened up Issue 514 about this.
>
> Thanks for reporting.
>
> Tom

Hi Tom,

thank you for your fast reply. Indeed updating to a newer version of boost
(I moved from 1.46 to 1.53) seems to fix both of the issues. I repeated
make test for 10 times and both tests (as well as all others) ran through
without issues every time. Before I hat to retry only once or twice to get
a hangup.

However I am still curious to learn how flowgraph start/stop works for
asynchronous blocks, as they don't have a start/stop function, as far as I
understood. Can you point me to some documentation or a certain piece of
code where I can learn more about this?

Yours
Martin

I'm not sure what you mean by asynchronous blocks? All blocks run as threads. We can join them and interrupt them (all our threads are started with a Boost interruption point for this).

Tom