Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Edit GNU Radio Companion generated Python script

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Edit GNU Radio Companion generated Python script location
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 12:15:51 -0500

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 8:21 AM, Murray Thomson <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I have a couple of blocks and a flow graph that uses them. When I generate the flow graph of a block using GNU Radio Companion, the Python script is generated at ~/.grc_gnuradio/block1.py
The same thing happens with the flow graph but, in addition, the call to my blocks inside the generated Python script looks like this:

execfile("/home/myuser/.grc_gnuradio/block1.py")

Which means that when I copy these scripts to the target machine I need to edit that line to match the location of the block1.py in the target machine.

How can I edit the location where GNU Radio Companion puts the scripts? The Edit > Properties menu is disabled :(

Thanks,
Murray

The Properties menu item is there more for future use but doesn't yet do anything. In our current work to overhaul GRC to make it more user-friendly, I hope these are things we can more easily set and change.

In the meantime, you can control the location of the output of the hier_blocks by setting the environmental variable GRC_HIER_PATH. This will allow you to build and install the .py and .py.xml files into whatever path you want, and that execfile sring will similarly point there. One way to handle this is:

$ export GRC_HIER_PATH=/newpath
$ grcc hier_block_file.grc

Hope this helps.

Tom