Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Frequency discriminator using a frequency to volt

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Frequency discriminator using a frequency to voltage converter
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 10:22:04 +0100

Hi Larry,
in addition to what Kim said:
You'll have to consider that what the Qt frequency sink and what a frequency to voltage converter does are pretty different things:
  • The freq-to-volt converter takes a signal and (ideally) gives you a reading determining the (somehow defined) strongest frequency in your signal. So it's "one signal over a lot of time in, one number out", if you want so.
  • The Qt frequency sink takes in a period of signal, and shows you all the frequencies' magnitudes it can detect at once. It's "one signal over a lot of time in, a set of a lot of frequency magnitudes out".
So the core question is: What do you really want to do, mathematically?

Because I find that highly cool, here's what's happening inside the Qt frequency sink, even if that might be unrelated to your problem:
  • takes in a vector of N samples
  • Computes a discrete Fourier transform (using FFTw's fast fourier transform algorithms) of length N
  • computes the square of the magnitude, the logarithm of that, normalizes each of the N complex result values
  • optionally: averages each bin individually
  • regularly updates the plot with the N-vector of PSD

Best regards,
Marcus