Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Editing usrp_spectrum_sense.py

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Editing usrp_spectrum_sense.py
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 21:10:38 +0100

Dear Fikrat,

the physical power depends on your waveform. Generally, the power is always $P(t) = U(t)\cdot
      I(t)$, which, thanks to Ohm's law ($U=R\cdot
      I\rightarrow I = \frac UR$) is $P(t) =
      \frac{U^2(t)}{R}$. As you might know from the basics of electrical engineering, one can represent harmonic functions such as a voltage sine generated by a function generator as complex number with magnitude $A$ and phase $\varphi$ , i.e. as ${\underline
      U}(t) = A \cdot e^{j\varphi}$; notice that for the power consideration, you can omit the $e^{j\varphi}$, it always having the magnitude 1. Use your math basics to find the average power by integrating over a period. For harmonic signals you'll find that if you set $A=U_{eff}=\frac
      1{\sqrt 2} U_{max}$.
2.  Moreover, am I supposed to connect the signal generator directly to the TX/RX port?
If you can make sure your signal generator doesn't push more than -15dBm into the USRP, then sure. Otherwise, use a calibrated attenuator and adjust your measurement.

I don't know which signal generator you use, but most RF signal generators I know accept both, either voltage/amplitude or power as setting.
Also make sure your signal generator is set to 50Ohm impedance, if that is adjustable.

3.  Finally, if that was the case, how do I observe the digital power on the USRP n210?
Well, the magnitude of the imaginary and real part of the digital samples are proportional to the voltage on the I and Q input of the ADC... Soooo: Digital power is just I²+Q² = |s|², the magnitude squared.

All in all, these are pretty basic questions; we're constantly working on making GNU Radio more beginner-friendly, but to do that, we might at times need to refer people to adequate literature.
So: May I ask what background you come from?

Best regards,
Marcus