Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Multi-rtl - making multi-channel receiver out of

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Multi-rtl - making multi-channel receiver out of multiple RTL-SDR dongles
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 23:26:32 -0400

On 06/28/2016 06:25 AM, Piotr Krysik wrote:

Hi Marcus,

It's great to hear that there is interest in using the block. I can
change how parameters are displayed but I don't have clear idea how to
do this so the user experience with for a systems with 8+ inputs will be
improved. I can separate RF options to another tab but it won't improve
much - you will still have a very long list of parameters that you will
have to scroll.

I can do this - it is not any problem for me (actually I already did
this after your post:
https://github.com/ptrkrysik/multi-rtl/commit/dfda15b5332cafb7da9288707fc9c58be91370b6).
But in my opinion if you want to have more than 8 inputs you can
consider coding the flowgraph in Python. GRC might be cumbersome in
itself when you have blocks with
so many ports.
Just tried it out. I like the new layout. Tried it with 4 ports, and it's quite manageable.

Regarding the coherent operation - I have to play with the driver
prepared by you. If it works fine - it is the way to go in my opinion.
Some people might still need dithering (i.e. because they don't care
about coherency but want to set the frequency more precisely). One
solution for this might be some additional option in the gr-osmosdr
block that turns on/off dithering. Or if frequencies for which dithering
is used can be easily listed/computed - then dithering can be just not
used when the user sets frequency that doesn't require it.
Indeed, my fork includes API for turning on/off dither, which I inherited from keenerd. But without gr-osmosdr support, I needed to force it.

Best Regards,
Piotr