Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Text transmission using usrp

From: Trueblues 17
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Text transmission using usrp
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2018 12:31:07 +0200

Is there a way to use packet_loopback_hier.grc to send a text file in other words is it possible to packetize a text file and use it?
On Wed, Jun 27, 2018, 11:49 AM Müller, Marcus (CEL) <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Trueblues,

the packet encoder and decoder blocks are known to be broken – that's
why they are in the "deprecated" category! It'll be gone with the next
minor release of GNU Radio, even. (same will happen to WX GUI, so
switch to Qt now!)

So, please don't use them; I don't expect them to work.
Instead, you'll find, within the examples that came with GNU Radio¹ the
digital/packet/packet_rx.grc and digital/packet/packet_tx.grc examples.

These I expect to work. They are hierarchical blocks, which you can
generate and through reloading of the block library also find in GRC's
block library.

in digital/packet_loopback_hier.grc you'll find a fully fledged
transceiver – that has all the bells and whistles of a minimal
communication system, including error correction, and phase and clock
corrections. Much, much better than "packet decoder" ever has been.

As soon as you have a rough idea what happens in the loopback flow
graph, replace the "Channel Model" with your pair of USRP sink and
source, and try it over the air :)

As we're trying to stay atop of documentation, can I ask you how you
came to build your flow graph with the packet en- and decoder? Is it
completely a design of our own, or is there resources within our sphere
of influence that we might clean up?

Best regards,
Marcus

¹typically /usr/[local/]share/gnuradio/examples