Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Audio Source - 2 outputs in a windows enviroment

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Audio Source - 2 outputs in a windows enviroment
Date: Sat, 25 May 2019 11:18:56 +0200

Hi Charlie,

Sorry to hear you've got problems! So, the issue is this: The native
windows audio source simply can't do two outputs so far. That's a
feature clearly lacking!

However, together with Gary we've been able to track down the issue and
come up with a workaround[1].

Long story short, two issues:

1. The "native windows" audio system used internally by default on
windows doesn't have stereo, but there's also the "portaudio"
implementation that works under windows and does.
All you have to do is change a couple of preferences to allow you to do
that.
2. Sadly, under Windows the preferences-file-reading system is broken,
but we've got a fix for that in the next release.

So, we need to fix 2. before we can fix 1. WITH THIS RELEASE OF GNU
RADIO (3.7.13.5 and before). The next release will already contain a
fix for issue 2.

You need to have a directory {XYZ}\etc\gnuradio\conf.d ; that's
probably already somewhere in your Windows GNU Radio installation. Take
the "{XYZ}" of that path, and set it as GR_PREFIX, like this on a
command window:

    set GR_PREFIX=XYZ

If

    set GR_PREFIX=XYZ
    gnuradio-config-info --prefsdir

works and now shows your full path to conf.d, you can simply go and
also run

    gnuradio-config-info --userprefsdir

which should yield something like
C:\Users\YourNameHere\AppData\Roaming\.gnuradio

In this directory should be a config.conf file.  Open it in notepad or
whatever text editor, and add

[audio]

audio_module = portaudio

then, save and close.

If you

    gnuradio-config-info --prefs

it should now list exactly these lines (among others) that specify you
want to use portaudio instead of the default audio system choice.

Congrats!

So, the way to make that work consistently is to edit "run_gr.bat" in
C:\Program Files\Gnuradio-3.7\bin (or wherever it's installed) to
reflect the GR_PREFIX path above.

Sorry it's such a hassle: Testing whether things work on Windows is a
very more manual task to us, and I'm eternally thankful for Geof to
build these windows versions at all!

Best regards,
Marcus

[1]