Re: How to update GNU Radio to 3.8 version in Debian Linux

From: Maitland Bottoms
Subject: Re: How to update GNU Radio to 3.8 version in Debian Linux
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2020 13:42:47 -0500

On Sun, 1 Mar 2020 06:03:09 +0100
"Md. Atiqur Rahman" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
> I hope everyone doing great!
> I want to update the GNU Radio from 3.7.10 to 3.8. to my virtual
> machine(Linux).
> Before I did install Gnu Radio by using : sudo apt-get install
> gnuradio python-numpy python-gtk2
> Now, If i try to give update of GNU Radio, it says already the newest
> version installed which is 3.7.10 version.

The nice thing about stable releases is that they are stable. That's
good - if you had something working already it will keep working.

Since your installation is giving you a gnuradio 3.7.10 version, then
your virtual machine is pointing at Debian 9 "stretch". A fine version
of Debian but in July 2019 Debian 10 "buster" was released and is the
current stable release. Please consider upgrading.

See https://www.debian.org/releases/
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/

However, with gnuradio that will only bring version 3.7.13.4-4.
And it is hard to recommend continuing to use Python2 now in 2020,
if you are planning upon developing on the Python side of gnuradio.

If you want to work with OOT gnuradio modules that have *not* updated
to Python3 and gnuradio 3.8, then current Debian stable is for you.

Current Debian 10.3 stable is a great platform for building your own
stuff in the gnuradio ecosystem, but maybe that's more than you want to
take on just now.

> What can I do now? Please any command-line suggestion would be
> appreciated. Thank you in advance.

But you are wanting to update to gnuradio 3.8...

Since you are living in these modern times with virtual machines, I
suggest installing Debian "testing" in another virtual machine. It
turns out to be a reasonably stable rolling release distro that
delivers a lot of new stuff.

Right now Debian testing will get you the head of gnuradio's maint-3.8
git branch version 3.8.1, the head of volk's master branch version
2.2.1. Also now in testing is gqrx 2.12.1 (plus a few new tricks
pending for the next gqrx release.)

Also, coming soon - next month even, will be Ubuntu 20.04 "Focal Fossa"
- you should plan to fire up another virtual machine for it. Looks like
it will have all the nice gnuradio ecosystem packages currently in
Debian testing.

So you have options. Good luck pursuing your dreams,
-Maitland