Pi GNURadion challenge.

From: Robert Heerekop
Subject: Pi GNURadion challenge.
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2020 20:24:10 +0100

Dear GNURadio-friends!

Thank you so much for your replies on my previous post! It feels good to get feedback and I did read every single line 4 times and did numerous attempts/installations this weekend on the Pi4 and Pi3B1.2 which I have available here. Yes, I'm making progress first steps-by-steps, but...
...the speaker is still silent...no WBFM music yet...

Marcus M. his clarification on sw building process was very interesting. Thanks for explaining this process! At this (Hello World) beginners on GNURadio I prefer to use a low risk easy to install version and get my RTL-SDR and ADALM-PLUTO sounding WBFM in the first place. Good to know though how development&building works and I will keep an eye on Debian porting to RPi4 and make use of the faster vector optimized processing. interesting to have this insight. Thanks!
Manolis S. his suggestion to use an existing build sounded also good. I failed however...

The SD Cards here were over-and-over refreshed with 'latest' fresh 2020-02-13-raspbian-buster images to ensure I used every time an of-the-raspberry-shelf default configuration.

Summarized my failing GNURadio weekend results:

1. The standard beginners level gnuradion Pi installation process fails with the current raspberry NOOBS raspian image.I presume because due to referral to the version "Pi3B+": https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/InstallingGRFromSource_on_Raspberry_Pi
Unfortunately I one have Pi3B1.2, Pi4(c03112, 4Gb, 32GB-SD) and PiZero
I figured out I also had to add the commands:
sudo apt install gr-osmosdr (otherwise the 'blocks' to input data from the USB connected SDR were missing.)
sudo apt-get install xterm

2. I try to get GNURadio Companion 3.8 running as a GUI because I read that that was more stable. I'm happy though if I can get any version working in the first place...
The provided sugegstion to simply perform "sudo apt install gnuradio" does not install 3.8 but 3.7.13.4. The good news however is that GNU Radio Companion can be started from the GUI and after installing the osmocom, RTL-SDR from the RPi-menu and fixing a lxterminal issue, I am able to proces a WBFM receiver grc-example, but seems facing an audio sink issue resulting in silence.... I will continue to look to search for a solution but failed so far.

3. After "sudo dpkg -i" installing the pre-build repo Manolis suggested, GNURadio did not appear on the GUi so I failed here as well. I guess this is because I am using not the same RPi hardware version...

4. the only way to get some WBFM-audio working(yes!) is installing Gqrx2.11.5(which is qt5.11.3 based). The Gqrx is working fine, but the GNURadio which comes with it, gives interrupted audio as I recorded and show here: https://youtu.be/WNpgtsG8Bls

Yes, this is struggling on rookie level.  I will continue my attemps and am aware that...
The more a Hello world GNURadio struggle takes, the better the first music in the end sounds ;-)
If you have a working 'beginers level' instruction, SD-image or build (of any GNURadio) that works on Pi4/Pi3B1.2 I will reserve a place in the Radio Hall of Fame!

Thanks for sharing any suggestions!
rrrRbert
ps. I happy to provide any logs is that helps in finding the rootcause.