Re: Question on OOT- Modules installation path

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: Question on OOT- Modules installation path
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 15:05:31 +0200

Hi Volker,

in the current style of the OOT ecosystem: the modtool style.

gr-osmosdr (and other modules of the same authors) have historically
deviated from that (well, or, they were around before anyone even
thought of having a common style), and want to be installed *into* the
GNU Radio installation.

That *does* have advantages (like, you can do "from gnuradio import
volkersmodule", instead of the less clear "import volkersmodule"), but
it requires users to have administrative rights to modify the
system-wide GNU Radio installation, whereas the modtool style
installation is perfectly translateable to any prefix.

Best regards,
Marcus