Re: DVBT Reed Solomon Encoder/Decoder

From: Ron Economos
Subject: Re: DVBT Reed Solomon Encoder/Decoder
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 16:55:23 -0700

The block parameter is the number of 188-byte Transport Stream packets that the block will process at a time. It's set to 8 to match the next block upstream/downstream which is the Convolutional Interleaver/Deinterleaver.

Because the block is processing the input/output in specific chunks, the input/output pins are vectors. For the encoder, it's 188 * 8 or 1504 on the input and 204 * 8 or 1632 on the output. If you want to connect a byte block to one of these inputs/outputs, you can use a stream to vector or vector to stream block in between to do the conversion. Blocks like the File Source have a programmable vector length.

When you connect two blocks with the wrong vector size, the "View flow graph errors" button will light up. Click on the button to see what the mismatch is. For example, of you connect the File Source block to the Reed-Solomon encoder, the error message will be "Source IO size "1" does not match sink IO size "1504"". It's telling you you're trying to connect a byte output to a vector of size 1504 input. If you set the "Vec Length" on the File Source block to 1504, the error will go away.

Ron