Re: How to model class-B distortion of a complex signal

From: Nick Foster
Subject: Re: How to model class-B distortion of a complex signal
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 12:25:01 -0800

Anish,

If you really just want to model crossover distortion in a class-B amplifier, you could use a pair of Rail blocks:
image.png

If you're trying to model the distortion created by a real solid-state amplifier, and not trying to correct it with predistortion, there are a million different models which attempt to accurately characterize distortion in SSPAs: Rapp, Saleh, and Ghorbani seem to be most widely used. They're all pretty simple.

Here's a very simple, memoryless model (Ghorbani) implemented as an embedded Python block:
https://gist.github.com/bistromath/75d30dd9691fd18211b306db630d8c4f

Some basic information about the model can be found here:
https://www.mathworks.com/help/comm/ref/memorylessnonlinearity.html

Nick