Re: Why when I send a complex file with harmonic sequence f1 f2 f3 ...fn

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: Why when I send a complex file with harmonic sequence f1 f2 f3 ...fn, In receiver haromoic sequence gain is changed?
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 13:30:13 +0200

Hi sp,

yes, *equalization*; **many** approaches to that, and which one you chose depends on many systemic factors and channel properties.

I think you're in for a bit of fundamentals; that's not something I could explain in an email (though I've really tried).

So, you seem to be concerned with modelling the frequency-selective channel. For that, you will need a bit of fundamental theory, or else things will seem very confusing.

On https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/SuggestedReading#Digital_Comms we have collected some literature recommendations. If I was to recommend something that is freely available for you, who needs to understand how a channel "works" before becoming able to remove its effect, it would be the book by Lapidoth, "A Foundation in Digital Communication"; it's free! Since you already have seemed to work with digital signals in FPGAs, I think the first couple of chapters (1–4) will be easier than for the average person reading this book, as you already have a "feeling" for things, but might need some basic notation that helps describe and understand what is happening. Chapter 5 and 6 and 7 are the most important to you. They describe what happens to your baseband signal.

Now, you really seem to want to be able to equalize a broadband channel. The right book for learning how these channels happen in the real world is Tse and Viswanath's "Fundamentals of Wireless Communication", which is also free! However, it really assumes you already know why LTI systems can lead to frequency-selective behaviour, so it honestly makes more sense reading Lapidoth first.

Best regards,
Marcus