Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 04:49:43 +0000

On Sunday, January 7, 2001, at 10:05 PM, Helge Hess wrote:

> Jason H Clouse wrote:
> > <<Maybe, but the discussion doesn't go about what I use !, but about the
> > usefulness of developing YAXT (yet another X11 toolkit)>>
> >
> > Are you talking about the AppKit?  I don't really see that as an X11
> > toolkit.
>
> No, about gstep-gui (xdps,xgps), which is an X11 toolkit. Nevertheless:
> if AppKit isn't an X11 toolkit, what do you think it is (in the ctx of
> GS).

The above paragraph is awfully unclear (at least to my reading)...

gstep-gui is pretty much AppKit.  It provides the AppKit API and implements most
of the program logic of the AppKit.  It does *NOT* involve any X code. Instead
it uses a backend library to handle low-level drawing and event handling.

gstep-xgps/gstep-xdps are the X11 toolkits that gstep-gui uses for low level
operation.  Their parallel in Apple code is the Quartz display system, and
indeed
there is no reason why a direct drawing library should not be used for a backend
if anyone wanted to volunteer to write one.