Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 20:01:52 +0000

On Sunday, January 7, 2001, at 07:21 PM, Jason H Clouse wrote:

> <<I'm wondering if it would not  be better to move these features into a
> generic wrapper GNUstep application that would interface and integrate
> the X11  applications and the  GNUstep environment, independly  of the
> window manager.>>
>
> Ah, the voice of reason.  This is a superb idea.  What would it take to
> do this?

I'm not sure - but I think this should be the role of a workspace manager
application, and the backend library (xgps/xdps) should provide this
functionality
so that we could potentially have different workspace managers without their
authors having to duplicate this work.  This would localize the X-pspecific code
within the shared code of xgps/xdps and leave the author of a workspace manager
free to deal with a single windowing API.  It would also mean that workspace
manager applications would be more easily portable to (spits) windows etc.