Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)

From: Jason H Clouse
Subject: Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 17:22:48 -0500

<<No, about gstep-gui (xdps,xgps), which is an X11 toolkit. Nevertheless:
if AppKit isn't an X11 toolkit, what do you think it is (in the ctx of
GS).>>

If my understanding is correct, then gstep-gui includes *both* the AppKit
and xgps/xdps.  The latter is indeed a toolkit, but the former is a high
level cross-platform GUI development framework.

<<First: there is not only gtk+. There are others available.>>

I only mentioned GTK for purposes of simplification.

<<Second: when GNUstep was started there was no gtk+ or Qt or wxWindows.
So the reason for GS can't have been the insufficiency of those
toolkits.>>

True.  But there were other solutions available (on both UNIX and
non-UNIX platforms) that were deemed inferior.  And I think most of the
people working on GNUstep right now feel that GTK et al are still
inferior.

I may be getting you wrong here but you seem to be saying that GNUstep
(or maybe even OPENSTEP in general) has no advantage over other
enviornments.  If so, then that's fine.  However, it should seem obvious
that those interested in GNUstep are interested in it because they don't
find other environments to meet their needs or be as pleasing.

Jason

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.