Re: Favored GNUstep Plattforms

From: Stephen Brandon
Subject: Re: Favored GNUstep Plattforms
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 14:38:10 +0000

On Wednesday 21 Nov 2001 2:10 pm, you wrote:
> For what reason do you need GUI tool for an DB? IMHO all you need is an sql
> shell and tools to dump/restore data. The rest can be done with EOModeler
> and friends.

Fair enough - I do almost everything from command line too. But I do really
like the OpenBase GUI. There are nice tools for tabular ascii import (which
can otherwise take quite a lot of fiddling from the cmd line), nice tools for
working with user permissions, nice tools for setting up backup schedules,
replication, monitoring load, and viewing the schema and data itself. The
latter can be done ok with EOModeler, but when I add up all the time it would
take to do everything else via script/cmd line, I can see how much time I
have saved.

I am definitely not knocking the cmd line - I just recognise a good set of
gui tools when I see them.

Stephen