Re: Slight problem w/ fonts

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Slight problem w/ fonts
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 18:09:35 +0100

Adam Fedor wrote:

> Chris B. Vetter wrote:
>
> > Another problem is, however, if you have lots of fonts ( > 6000 in my
> > case), re-creating the font-cache will completely freeze (no mouse
> > movements, can't even switch to a console) my machine (a K7-700 with
> > 512Meg) for about 20 minutes ... then font-cacher will dump a core,
> > about 6Meg in size ...
> > This happens _only_ if I run xfstt, though. Weird, bug, feature?
>
> I talked to other people who have problems with TrueType fonts and
> font_cacher. It would be interesting if we could make the GSFontMask
> feature of font_cacher work so you could incrementally add fonts -
> perhaps it could solve this problem.

It would be rather simple to allow for multiple entries in this mask, e.
g. separated by ";". If anybody thinks that this will help a bit I will
add this, I don't think that the semicolon is a common character in a
font name. I could also try to avoid loading a X font, when the same
font was already loaded for a different size. For this to work we will
have to rely on the name returned by the XListFonts function, which
might actually be an alias.