Re: GNUstep newbie questions!

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: GNUstep newbie questions!
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 20:57:41 +0100

>I read The NextStep Objectiv C guide which is really interesting. I
>would like to play around a little bit with GNUstep. What is the best
>way to start? Is there something like a simple hello world application
>that just pops up a window, prints out some stuff?

Affiche is great for this. get it from
http://www.collaboration-world.com/affiche/

>What is the difference between GNUstep and the Cooco? Is it useful to
>read a book about programing Cooca to learn programming for GNUstep?

That definitly won't hurt, although programming for Cocoa is a little
different from GNUstep:
In Cocoa you will use Interface Builder to create the GUI, GNUstep is not
fully there (yet), you have to do lots of that stuff in plain Objective-C
(like creating menus, windows and other widgets). Affiche is also a good
example on writing an application for both GNUstep and Cocoa.

btw. there is also a good Series on Cocoa Programming in the (german)
MacWelt Magazine. It started in issue 09/2001 if I remember that
correctly. I am shure you can get that on your universities library.
Another good book is "Learning Cocoa" from O'Reilly. You could also try
http://www.bignerdranch.com/Book/ which offers another book (I haven't
tired this one but the reviews look promising).

>I hope this is the right list to ask these questions. I am really
>interessted in GNUstep and would like to learn more about it!

Great! Developers are always welcome.

>Greetings,
>Michael

Greetings, Lars