Re: Release of gui libraries

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Release of gui libraries
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:32:47 +0000

On Friday, January 25, 2002, at 01:56 PM, Pete French wrote:

I hope to make a release of the GUI libraries within 3-4 days. If there
are any serious bugs (i.e. ones that cause apps to crash), please let me

Has anybody else tried using GCC 3.0 to compile GNUstep or is this not
generally recommended ? I have just done an experiment, and code which
works when everything is compiled with 2.95 causes a core-dump in
the gmodel loading code under 3.0. The  gmodel file in question is
converted from as OS42 file, so it does produce the warning

"Error decoding gmodel - submenu not an NSMenu"

So I amnot entriely surpised it producesproblems, but I didnt expect it
tto core dump when the same GNUstepbaselibraries were cmpiled witha different
compiler.  I dont know if this counts as a bug though as GCC 3.0 is
still experimental as I understand it.

I don't use the gmodel stuff, but I've been using gcc-3.0 and later versions
for some time without problems.

In fact, I think that gcc-3.0 and later are recommended rather than the 2.?
series - since 3.0 comes with a much better objc runtime and automatic
dependency handling.