Re: Gorm too complex ?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Gorm too complex ?
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 20:54:01 +0000

Second answer :-)

On Sunday, February 10, 2002, at 01:34 AM, Stéphane PERON wrote:
I have read Pierre-Yves 's tutorial but I'm frankly astonished by the complexity of such a tool.

Can you give any examples of what you think is too complex?

Is there any possiblity to generate only a simple .m and .h for one additionnal panel ?

That's not what Gorm is for ... it's a primarily tool for putting together gui user interfaces in a very quick and easy manner without needing to do any (or at least minimal) coding.

Really I don't care about creating the whole project with. So I don't want to use projet center. I only want something that allow me to draw panels quicky ...with something more intuitive like :

How could it let you draw a panel quicker than dragging it of the palette?

I create one panel with graphics objects and then I generate my .m and .h with the command "generate classes" with the minimum clicks.

Why do you want to generate classes? If you just want to save a panel to be used in your app, you would click the 'Save' option in Gorm ... but that produces an archived panel in a .gorm file, rather than .[mh] files. You then add a couple of lines of code to your app to load the
file when you want it.

Does any one used "Ilog Views"  or similary RAD ?
With such tools, no documentation is needed when you know objects programmation bases.

I've never found a software development tool where no documentation is needed.

With Gorm (and the original InterfaceBuilder), I think the main concepts needing explanation are conecting to 'FilesOwner' and 'FirstResponder', and an example of loafing a nib (.gorm) file. Apart from that you need some understanding of how the AppKit works, in particular the target-action paradigm, in order to make effective use of the components available.