Re: Proposition for a Gorm feature Was: Gorm too complex

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Proposition for a Gorm feature Was: Gorm too complex
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 18:36:04 +0100 (CET)

> From: David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de>
>
> Hi folks,
>
> IMHO it is better to write XML or property lists as layout.  the
> code to load this files should be available as Framework that also
> works on MacOS X with Apple runtime.
>
> To generate Source is a bit faster but that lets people to mess with
> this source.  They start modifying it and will loose the ability to
> use the tool (Gorm) to edit the layout.
>
> A (binary) file format that is only usable on one platform is not good.
>
> Dave

Well,  I had  this  nagging  idea of  another  user interface  textual
"source" form.   XML could be  good enough for  that, if it's  used to
define  user interface  in  an abstract  enough  way as  to be  really
independent from the various  implementations. Ideally, this XML could
even be used to build interfaces in other frameworks such as GNOME.

Therefore not  in terms  of such  and such class  of OpenStep,  but in
general terms of Windows, Buttons, Menus, Texts, etc.

Anyway, with a XML form, some editing of the XML form in a text editor
could be possible  in addition to editing it  in Gorm, and portability
would be assured.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__              (o_ Software patents are endangering
()  ASCII ribbon against html email //\ the computer industry all around