Re: Proposition for a Gorm feature Was: Gorm too complex ?

From: Chris Hanson
Subject: Re: Proposition for a Gorm feature Was: Gorm too complex ?
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 01:45:13 -0600

I don't see what the big problem with saving WYSIWYG positioning information is.

You'll want to re-do your model files for different platforms anyway. GNUstep on Unix likely mimics the NEXTSTEP interface conventions, while GNUstep on Windows should mimic the Windows interface conventions, and Cocoa on Mac OS X uses the Macintosh interface conventions. I'm sorry, but you're *not* going to build a system that generates a good-looking, highly-usable interface on all of these platforms with no extra work on the part of developers trying to use it.

Just look at the difference between Macintosh and Windows conventions with respect to buttons in dialog boxes: Macintosh dialogs -- for left-to-right top-to-bottom languages anyway -- are supposed to have buttons labelled with verbs in the bottom right, lined up horizontally. (I'm simplifying, the real guidelines are slightly more complex and include spacing rules etc.) The default button should be non-destructive and in the bottom right. Windows, on the other hand, has had various conventions over the years. I believe the one that stuck -- with the exception of property sheets -- involves lining up equally-sized buttons along the right side of the window, with the default button labelled OK at the *top* of a column.

NeXT came up with a good workaround for this.  You can say

  didLoad = [[NSBundle defaultBundle] loadNibNamed:@"foo"];

and on OPENSTEP, "foo.nib" will load while on OPENSTEP Enterprise on Windows NT "foo-windows.nib" will load. I'm pretty sure it did the right thing if foo-windows.nib didn't exist -- which will work in a pinch -- and that you could even create foo-windows.nib by duplicating foo.nib, renaming it, and then switching the interface style in Interface Builder.

This shouldn't be too hard to make work on GNUstep when the time comes.

  -- Chris

PS - One of the big things that has held GNUstep back over the 4 years I've been following it is feature-creep. Just an observation.

--
Chris Hanson                      |  Email: cmh@bDistributed.com
bDistributed.com, Inc.            |  Phone: +1-847-372-3955