Re: Porting autogsdoc to OSX

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: Porting autogsdoc to OSX
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:34:30 +0100

On Tuesday, February 26, 2002, at 01:23 PM, Nicola Pero wrote:
NB - GNUstep headers work if you #import them.  You can #import them if
you like.  We use #include because it's better, but nothing prevents you
from using #import.

I nearly overread that bit which needs some clarification I guess. I was also talking about autogsdoc. Ideally I wouldn't even have to touch the code, as in an ideal process that thing would build out of the box on OS X. This could be achieved by providing a .pbproject for OS X which simply defines the build process to build the .[hmc] files on OS X. But alas, I cannot do so because autogsdoc #includes the Foundation headers (besides referencing stuff that doesn't belong inside Foundation, but I think I made the point clear already). I hope you see my point now. The obstacle of portability is #include, not #import. To me there seems to be more of an ideological barrier than a mere technical problem which prevents use of #include rather than #import, but I might be wrong on this issue. That's why I asked for clarification in another email ;-)

Cheers,

  Marcus

N.B.: I don't want to sound like smartassing around, I'm just searching for a feasible and practical solution to make porting between both worlds (in both directions) a lot easier. I have enough stuff to contribute to GNUstep which in my opinion is also worth it. It's just that there are pretty simple issues like this which prove out to be much more complicated to cope with in practice than they seemed to be at first sight.

--
Marcus Mueller  .  .  .  crack-admin/coder ;-)
Mulle kybernetiK  .  http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com