Re: import vs include Re: Porting autogsdoc to OSX

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: import vs include Re: Porting autogsdoc to OSX
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 02:09:58 +0100

On Dienstag, Februar 26, 2002, at 11:43  Uhr, Helge Hess wrote:

To the specific problem: gstep-base may or may not use #import internally, but gs-autodoc should use #import because otherwise it's not OpenStep conform and therefore not portable. OpenStep requires #import and doesn't require safe-guarded headers.

Well, I agree. Until now I didn't see the point, but yes, it's a userland tool (although shipped with base) and requirements (like #import vs. #include) could be seen different here. But anyway, I didn't intend to overstress the debate here. Personally I'd favor Helge's proposal.

I'm also amazed that MIME and XML functionality is put into gstep-base. Why does a *Foundation* library require XML and MIME functionality ??? Hm. Gstep-base is IMHO radically violating the one major feature of OpenStep, portability between Foundations. That way you will never reach MacOSX developers ...

Well, I think everybody agreed that the current situation isn't the best. Also, the last statement isn't true: I am a Mac OS X developer and - as opposed to my everyday job - I am toying around with GNUstep in my spare time. I like the whole concept of GNUstep, but sure - due to lack of developers - these issues didn't need to be addressed until now I guess.

Regarding the XML and MIME functionality: I spent most part of the evening reviewing all parts in base which have #ifndef NO_GNUSTEP assigned (as these are the parts I do have to port over to OS X) and since found out that most of them are NON TRIVIAL to port. However, the good news here is, that most of this code seems to be used internally only (by gstep-base), thus it will rarely be called by userland programs.

I began porting the critical parts to a new library which could be transformed into a bundle on GNUstep. Doing so after about 2 hours I found out that this task has to be repeated by a maintainer because the parts that I separated have to be removed from the [.hm] files in base (obviously) and thus stopped it. How could we proceed efficiently at that point?

For me it would be feasible to rip all code which consists of definitions, functions and categories and put it into a new framework. Dirk Theisen had done exactly the same some time ago and contributed his code, so it's pretty much complete by now. However it would be more than perfect to not duplicate the effort but instead put the stuff into gnustep-base as soon as that can be accepted by the maintainers. For that to be done of course there has to be a review in order to agree on naming (categories, filenames). I did preserve the names from base (where there had been category names) in order to not change things too much.

Proposals are welcome! ;-)

<Marcus

--
Marcus Mueller  .  .  .  crack-admin/coder ;-)
Mulle kybernetiK  .  http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com