Re: Proposal question.

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Proposal question.
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 12:18:03 +0100 (BST)

> One of the things I found odd about the Users domain was that it was the
> only of the four that broke from the $(DOMAIN)/[structure] format.
> Having, for example, /home/harrison/GNUstep/[Library|etc...] was odd, in
> comparison to $((USER_DOMAIN)=/home/$(username))/[Library|etc...].
>
> In this case, the only two directories (based on my proposal) that would
> be added to the user's home directory would be ~/Library and ~/Tools,
> with the structure under that being similar to the other domains.
>
> Now, if people don't want to add extra visible directories to their home
> dirs, I can understand that.  Under LinuxSTEP, those directories exist
> anyway, so there's no harm.  Maybe that's a bit of my LinuxSTEP FH
> design sneaking in.  However, in an integrated system, I don't see why
> there has to be a ~/GNUstep directory, or even a ~/.GNUstep directory.
> It becomes an unnecessary namespace, in relation to the other domains.
> Plus, why do Library and Tools have to be hidden from the user?  Maybe
> they want to be able to easily see the contents of those parts of the
> structure?

Since different people/systems/distributions/even different users on the
same system do have different wishes for where their gnustep user dirs are
kept, the best we can do is ... establish a reasonable default, and make
sure it can easily be configured to be something else.

The general idea is that that is done via unix-like configuration files,
basically a very simple ~/.GNUsteprc.

As I already said, I'm aware the current implementation is not the final
one - but it will be fixed/extended, and that is where we are aiming to
go.

So - the general philosophy we are pursuing is ... having each
distribution/each user be able to change quite freely their own gnustep
user dir and their own gnustep user defaults. :-)