Re: GNUstep directory layout

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: GNUstep directory layout
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 11:38:57 +0100

> /Users, and Mac OS X has /Users.  Normally, the users are kept out of
> any directory like /usr because /usr is, in many environments, mounted

I feel *so* old - when I started using UNIX the home directories were
kept in /usr as it stood for "users" :-) I suspect that the other
directories such as bin and lib ended up there by accident, and that
the tail ended up wagging the dog as people decided to move the home directories
elsewhere rather than find a sensible place to keep the stuff that doesnt
really belong under /usr

but thats UNIX evolution for you :-)

-bat. [as a completely off topic note - when *did* home directories move
       out of /usr ? sometime around BSD 4.1ish ?]