Re: GNUstep directory layout

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep directory layout
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 09:15:18 +0100

On Saturday, September 7, 2002, at 02:27 PM, Tim Harrison wrote:

Dennis Leeuw wrote:

/Network/<server-name>/System
/Network/<server-name>/Local
/Network/<server-name>/Users

This is something that I'm still unsure of. I know Martin has some suggestions about the management of /Network. My personal jury is still out on this one. I'm going to have a look at all the suggestions, and see what I can come up with. In the meantime, I'm going to leave it as it is. No harm, no foul.

That's not the way Network was meant to be used as I understood it.

The idea of the Network domain is to be used to store stuff that's supposed to be available to all machines on the network ... enabling rapid deployment of client machines (ie a single server exports this directory using NFS etc, and all client machines mount it). The layout of subdirectories within Network should therefore mirror the layout of directories
in System.