Re: AppWrappers folders [was: Re: GNUstep directory layout]

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: AppWrappers folders [was: Re: GNUstep directory layout]
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 04:27:10 +0200

On 2002-09-06 23:43 Uhr, "Martin Brecher" <listuser@gnustep.de> wrote:
> This brings me to another point I have been thinking about recently:
> Application Wrapprs - and where to put them.
> Usually all GNUstep apps go to <Domain>/Applications; with GWorkspace Enrico
> introduced wrapper scripts to be able to a) launch
> x11 programs from GNUstep and b) associate file types with X11 programs.
> Currently, the recommended or usual way is to put these
> wrappers into the Application folders.
>
> But I think that will - sooner or later - lead to problems. Imagine having an
> application server on a heterogenous network. By concept
> GNUstep is targeted at running several operating systems; thus, the GNUstep
> application bundles can contain binaries for several
> architectures and library combos. But the X11 wrapper scripts will only work
> for unix/x11 systems; win32 users will possibly be
> confused why they can't open Netscape.app... Also you don't want to have a
> MSWord.app wrapper on your unix box, do you? :)
>
> Thus, I propose having special defined subfolders within the Application
> directories: e.g. X11Applications, Win32Applications etc
> containing the wrappers for the native programs of different systems.

On NeXTstep the applications which couldn't be run on the local platform
appeared shaded and couldn't be started. I guess it should be the same way
on GNUstep. Gworkspace could also have a preference to show only
applications which are executable.

All this can be easily found out using the platform subdirectories of the
wrapper.

Greetings
  Helge