Re: gcc 3.1 OK for gnustep?

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: gcc 3.1 OK for gnustep?
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 23:12:41 +0100

> Yes. I'm running 4.6-RELEASE (GENERIC kernel, yes, I know...) and GNUstep
> is last Friday afternoon's CVS checkout (around 5pm PDT). To compile

O.K., if all else fails I will go grab the 5pm PDT snapshot then. I was
getting quite frustrated actually as when I tried to tarce my core dumps
I was when I started getting compiler errors when trying to compile
with debug=yes in 'base'

currently I am rebuilding gccc3.0.4 with the WANT_THREADS_SUPPORT option
as that was a difference I spotted later.

> modification to use CC=gcc30 (3.0.4, instead of 2.95.3) and configure
> gnustep-base with --disable-openssl

...you kno, I have just crawled all over the config scripts in 'base;
trying to find out how to do that! :-)

> Except for the occasional (and expected) "urgh, SIGSEGV received" from
> Window Maker ;-)

?! I've never, ever, seen WindowMaker crash in all the time I've been
running it (which is only the last 3 years admittedly, but still, zero
crashes is zero crashes).

This is all very interesting as we do seem to have very different
experiences with what *should* be the same software.

I'll see what your suggestions bring, thanks for the advice...

-bat.