Re: next round: gnustep website proposal

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: next round: gnustep website proposal
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 04:17:47 +0200 (CEST)

> From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf <lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de>
> Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 02:53:26 +0200
>
> the next versions of a proposal for the GNUstep website are online now.
> You can view them at:
>
> http://www.sqar.org/gnustep/website-relaunch_version_2/
> http://www.sqar.org/gnustep/website-relaunch_version_3/
> http://www.sqar.org/gnustep/website-relaunch_version_4/

I prefer http://www.sqar.org/gnustep/website-relaunch_version_3/

In  the "big"  versions, the  lines  are too  closely spaced  (Mozilla
0.9.4).  I think that even the normal version should use bigger font.

Actually,  independently of the  degree of  visual impairement  of the
viewer, I  don't understand why  the web designers should  specify the
size of  the characters.  First, it  all depends on  the resolution of
the screen (and once again, resolution is not the term, it's the pixel
density).  I like  to use the highest resolution  (to have the highest
pixel density, and  therefore be able to have  finer characters, using
bigger fonts.  My current setting  is 16 points for proportional fonts
and 12 for  non-proportional.  I know that a "point"  once upon a time
was an  absolute typographical unit,  but with the confusion  with the
pixels,  it became  dependent  on  the pixel  size  (inverse of  pixel
density).

So, you  should increase  the line-height, and  (if possible,  I don't
know  the  possibilities of  css'es)  use  absolute  units instead  of
pixels:

   font-size:   7.5mm
   line-height: 9.0mm

Once again, I'll dream of device independance this night!

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/
 The name is Baud,...... James Baud.