Re: next round: gnustep website proposal

From: Richard Stonehouse
Subject: Re: next round: gnustep website proposal
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 00:46:42 -0000

I'm no design expert and I know a lot of these things are personal taste
- but, for my money, I'm afraid that I, too, prefer the design of the
old site over the new ones.

The things that strike me in the latest three versions are:

 - a rather dense, intimidating block of text
   that seems visually unattractive - doesn't
   really make me want to read it (especially
   in the darker coloured versions);

 - problems in picking out the headings because
   they don't seem to be distinguished from
   normal text, also lack of clear separation
   between articles;

 - problems in picking up paragraph breaks
   because of lack of inter-paragraph spacing;

 - problems in picking up sentence starts
   because of lack of normal capitalisation
   (am I being a fuddy-duddy)?

 - a lack of highlighted points that the lazy
   reader (like me!) can pick up in a quick
   scan (see some of Jakob Nielsen's AlertBox
   articles).

Viewing in Opera 6.05 under Linux.

I wonder if the fundamental problem is simply that there's such a lot of
information on the page? With less, it would be possible to give the
items a bit more "air" around them, making it more attractive and easier
to read.

--

    Richard Stonehouse