Re: GNUSTEP/linux

From: Philippe C.D. Robert
Subject: Re: GNUSTEP/linux
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 11:19:04 +0100

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 mjr@cloaked.freeserve.co.uk wrote:
> [...]
> > [1]: I am not talking about a GNUstep distro here, what I mean is a set of
> >      distro independent RPMs which can be downloaded from a central place
> >      and be installed on a working Linux system in a few steps only. I'd
> > like
> >      to start something similar here as GNOME did a few years ago.
>
> There is no such thing as "distro independent RPMs."  Other projects I am
> involved with have stopped providing RPMs because of all the different
> incompatible RPM-based distributions.  Good luck, but I am not optimistic.

I always thought that if you do not touch system specific stuff you can use
the same RPM at least on RH, SuSE and Mandrake?

I am obviously wrong then, so what is the showstopper exactly?

One way out of this would be to provide a set of src rpms wich are built
upon installation via an installation script. But actually, this is not
what I'd call user friendly.

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert     |  VNET# 559-1565
Core Rendering           |  Office: +41 (0)32 732 15 65